12-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #66
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac View Post
On the assumption that you are doctor, at what point during your schooling do you start getting paid? Is it only during your residency? I look at the 13 years it takes to become a radiologist. 4 for BSc, 2 for MSc, 4 for PHd, then onto the residency (please correct me if I am wrong) which is 3-5yrs. It seems to be a long time to go without a steady income. If you are getting paid during your residency, how much are you making?
Are there many openings in the country for radiologists?
Yes, I am a doctor.

You start getting paid once you become a resident (post-M.D.)

The usual process is:
  • 4 years BSc
  • 4-5 years Med School (you don't do a Masters and then PhD - you go directly from BSc to med school, after which you earn a M.D.)
  • 2-7 years residency in either family medicine or a specialty. Family medicine is 2 years, specialties are usually 5 but can be longer.
You do accumulate a lot of debt for med school (unless you have rich parents). It's not easy to pay off much of the debt with the salary of a resident. Most really start paying off their debts once they graduate from residency (at which point you get a license to practice).

To get into a radiology residency, it's extremely difficult. Likely most competitive residency to get into (for the reasons mentioned above). After that, it's fairly easy to get a job. You don't usually have to worry about not finding a job once you graduate from (any) residency.
Appreciate 0