View Single Post
      06-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #191
weiher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Are you absolutely positively sure that they are reaplacing the complete turbo?
If so then your dealer did not read that SIB correctly.
All they need to do is replace the actuators and the problem is solved.
I understand that your linkage is very loose but so was mine.
Once the correctly operating acutaors are in place then the linkage will not be loose anymore since the actuators are doing their job by making everything tight.

Howdy Mr. 5 - good work on your part tracking down and disecting this issue - it was very helpful and insightful.

In my case, Yup - they replaced both turbos which seems to have included the actuators and connecting hardware. There's not a rattle, tap, click or anything to be heard except what's supposed to be heard. Absolutley perfect.

When they originally told me the plan, I told them to stop everything and we'd go over this SIB again but they said they had been on and off the phone all morning with BMW and this is what they collectively came up with. When I went there and actually saw how bad the wastegate shaft was - where it goes thru the turbo/wastegate housing, quite frankly I didn't want that back on the car. It was completely loose like it was ready to fall out. Of course, the valve inside keeps the shaft from falling out along with whatever retaining hardware is in there, but the point is there was so much play in the shaft that I couldn't see how it could possibly function properly. This isn't the hardware that runs between the actuator and the lever connected to the shaft, this is the actual shaft.

On the new one I looked at, like I mentioned before, there was play in the shaft but only slightly along the direction of the shaft axis. Much tighter. No sideways or angular slop.

There's currently no arguing with success - so far they seemed to have nailed it. Only time will tell.