View Single Post
      01-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #126
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'm actually in the process of working out a deal on an E350CDi coupe (trying to get the dealer to £500pm for a brand new one with Nav and no deposit!) as all E-Class variants I've driven have been rattle free!
Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!

But I understand your issues with the MPG - actually that's why I got us a second 3 series two weeks ago. A 330d E91 LCI actually - it stayed without a remap for 4 hours...

Alpina_B3_Lux