View Single Post
      06-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I noticed when I do a throttle position test in INPA, the actual position doesn't match what the setting I select. Attached is a screen shot when I select 99%, it shows 80.1. Is this normal?
I'm interested in knowing:
1) WHY were you doing that Activation?
2) I Trust you were doing the Activation with Ignition ON, Engine OFF?
3) What readings did you see for < F1 > 0% & < F2 > 50% (Both Voltages & % position)?
4) WHAT is your understanding of the Location & Function of the two Sensors whose Voltages you were seeing reported?
5) WHAT is your understanding of the Function of the "Throttle Valve" whose position is being reported?
6) Is nearly 0% near fully-open (Admitting near-max air), or near fully-closed?

This is NOT an attempt to be a "smart-ass". I have tried to find something that discusses the function of the Throttle Valve, both in Bentley & in TIS, and have NOT found anything that describes its function to my satisfaction. The best "Concept" I have been able to obtain is that it is essentially a "Safety Backup" for the VVT system, and it is normally near fully-open position, with Intake Valve Lift controlling "Load"/ Throttle/ or amount of air entering engine, AND the values I have seen when "Monitoring" readout (NOT Over-riding DME Control by pushing F1, F2 or F3) with valve under DME Control, the "Status Drosselklappe/ Throttle Valve % is always in the 2% to 10% range, with the higher % occurring when I press throttle pedal to increase RPM from idle to ~ 3,000 RPM.

The "Throttle Valve" readout is NOT to be confused with Accelerator Pedal Module Position or Voltage signals from its two Pedal Position Sensors, which can be viewed in the attached INPA screens. The first screen (DME > F5 > F2 > F4) shows Ignition On, Engine OFF, Accelerator Pedal nearly floored. Accelerator Pedal Sensor Voltages appear in Left Column, and "Throttle Valve" or Drosselklappe Potentiometer voltages appear in Right Column; Second screen shows data readout, same screen, under same conditions EXCEPT Accelerator Pedal ON Idle position. Third Screen shows DME > F5 > F2 > F6 MWB 6. Data, AT IDLE, includes Throttle Valve Value, and Accelerator Pedal Value, as % of full travel.

I attach a 4th ScreenPrint, the SAME INPA Screen you attach (DME > F6 > F2 > F3 Throttle Valve Control), except mine is once again just Monitoring values with Engine RUNNING, when I have pressed throttle sufficiently to increase RPM to ~3,000. Throttle Valve % = 10.9%

BTW, for anyone following this at Home, do NOT attempt to perform Activation EXCEPT under "Operating Conditions" as shown (in German) at top of screen. In this case RPM = "0" = ZERO = Engine OFF. It's OK to use F6 Activations to simply OBSERVE Readout, but you have to be careful NOT to "Over-ride" DME Control with engine running (UNLESS Operating Conditions allow RPM > 0).

Thanks,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0