View Single Post
      01-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
30% is a major reduction in fuel consumption: you have to ask if it is that easy, why don't car manufacturers do it themselves?
You don't think they do??

320d comes out with 118bhp which beats the A4s 110bhp, then the A4 gets 130bhp and new 320d gets 134bhp, then the A4 gets 148bhp and 320d gets 150bhp, then we see 164bhp and then new engine with 177bhp, then it increases to 184bhp and I bet we see 198bhp from that engine before it is replaced.*

It is called marketing, you release what you need to at the time to compete with what else is out there, and you make sure you leave plenty in reserve to upgrade when necessary.

You then have to consider that you may drive to the Middle East in your car where as I drive to the North Pole in mine, you see 60ºc and I see -55ºc, and I guess we both expect our cars to work properly at both temperature extremes and with the different grades of fuel we will be putting in??
The manufacturers have to play it very safe when it comes to power etc.

Also remember many countries tax you based on power and not emissions, so if the higher rate is 170ps you suddenly see why the 320d is still offered in some countires with 169PS.

All marketing, all about marketing.

*figures are off the top of my head by the way, but used to give an idea.
Appreciate 0