The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Swatch?
Swatch at this point in time is working hard to turn things around, but i would exclude them from a lot of these debates at this point in time. Their movements are sound, but they are like a Honda Accord. They are everywhere, they are reliable, there's nothing wrong with them, they are just nothing special.

I have a Hamilton with a Swatch ETA in it. I'm wearing it right now, but it's not special, as it's the same movement i can find in a Tag that's 2k more expensive, yes, maybe they dressed the movement up a tiny bit to make it niceer looking, but it's not special in any way. It's also the same movement that will be found in some Breitlings and etc.

What you find in a JLC, Patek, Lange, Glashout, and etc, is special because every part was made for a specific watch, or series of watches, to serve a sole purpose, not to service the masses.

That's my problem with an ETA. I'll not badmouth an ETA, it works well, it's been proven for years, it will continue to work for years. But it's not a feat of engineering.
Appreciate 0