View Single Post
      03-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #35
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

OK guys,

here are the most important parts of the BMW bulliten re lag and lagfix:
(again, all this info is in the lagfix thread link i posted in my previous post):
be sure to concentrate on my highlighted portions below:

SI B11 13 07

Engine March 2009
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 13 07 dated February 2009.
designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
N54 Distinct Clanking Noise from Turbocharger Area
MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 (3 Series) 335i and 335xi
E60 and E61 (5 Series) 535i and 535xi
All with N54 engine from the start of production up to January 1st, 2009 production

SITUATION
The customer complains of a metallic noise from the exhaust system near the engine or turbocharger area. This noise is described as a clanking noise, occurring up to six or seven times in a row during a deceleration from approximately 3,500 RPM; or during a heavy application of the accelerator without a drive gear being engaged.
Complaints received regarding a slight rattle from this area under steady acceleration in the 2,000 RPM to 4,000 RPM range are due to the rotating waste gate valve face; this is a characteristic of the mechanical waste gate. The rotating waste gate valve face is necessary to ensure proper sealing. This slight rattle noise is considered normal operation of the mechanical waste gate valve. No repair should be attempted for this type of rattling complaint.

CAUSE
The wastegate valve does not completely close due to the mechanical tolerances of the wastegate actuator. This results in the wastegate valve repeatedly clanking against its seating surface.
PROCEDURE
Vehicles produced from May 2006 up to September 2007
Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod.
1. Perform DIS Test Plan 120012, Noises at Turbocharger (Path: Fault Symptom – 1200 Engine control –120012 Noises at Turbocharger).
2. The test plan will conclude with an instruction to replace the wastegate actuators; ignore this instruction. Reprogram the DME if the vehicle has not already been programmed to one of the levels described below. Compare the vehicle I-Level to the table below.

Model
Vehicle Data Status
E90, E92, and E93 (335i and 335xi)
E89x-08-03-530 or higher
E60 and E61 (535i and 535xi)
E060-08-03-525 or higher
3. If the vehicle has not achieved one of the levels above, reprogram the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version.
4. After programming is completed, if the noise is no longer present, take no further action. If the noise is still present, replace both of the turbocharger wastegate actuators in accordance with Repair Instruction RA 11 65 580, Replacing vacuum unit (wastegate) (N54).
Vehicles produced from September 2007 up to March 2008
Do not replace the turbocharger or adjust the existing wastegate actuator control rod.
1. Perform the DIS Test Plan 120012, Noises at Turbocharger (Path: Fault Symptom – 1200 Engine control –120012 Noises at Turbocharger).
2. The test plan will conclude with an instruction to replace the wastegate actuators; ignore this instruction. Reprogram the DME if the vehicle has not already been programmed to one of the levels described below. Compare the vehicle I-Level to the table below.

Model
Vehicle Data Status
E90, E92, and E93 (335i and 335xi)
E89x-08-03-530 or higher
E60 and E61 (535i and 535xi)
E060-08-03-525 or higher
3. If the vehicle has not already achieved one of the levels above, reprogram the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or more recent version.

All 335i/xi and 535i/xi models built from June 2006 up to September 2007
The updated software (note 29.2) causes a small amount of increased "turbocharger lag" under certain circumstances and, while not substantial, the lag may be perceptible to the most sensitive BMW drivers. (my note: bmw says the lag was not substantial - ha, ha this bullshit).

X6, 135i, 3 Series and 5 Series vehicles from March 2008 production onward are not affected. If said "turbocharger lag" is a customer's complaint, then the vehicle's DME software can be retrofitted to the original waste gate operation.

Procedure for vehicles up to September 2007 production:

Using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version, select "Conversions", and then select "Wastegate valve conversion". Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the original waste gate operation.

my note: you first must be updated with 32.1 or 32.2 FIRST, then you have to re hookup the car with the same software to get the wastegated fix OPTION.

After the "Waste gate valve conversion" has been completed, some waste gate-related noise may be detected.

Important Note:
To eliminate the "turbocharger lag" complaint on the vehicles produced from September 2007 up to March 2008 (after programming with Progman versions V29.2 – V32.0), reprogram the complete vehicle, using ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version.

OK guys, some last notes:
see the last 2 lines of above, and notice that there is no waste gate retrofit to be used for cars produced after sept 07.
this is because bmw redesigned the wastegates after sept 2007 production, so they claim there should be no wastegae (part of the) lag fix.
also note that some owners with cars after sept 2007 production still complain of lag.

also note that cars with production on or before sept 2007 (like me) have the older (possibly difficient) wastegate design.

SURPRISED A FEW OF YOU GUYS WITH LAG ISSUES DO NOT THIS INFO ...

cheers
Appreciate 0