View Single Post
      12-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #76
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I went from the stock 16" wheels w/ RFT's to 18" breytons (20 lbs) with non-rft bridgestone potenza RE760s. While I loved the PSS, they were just too much money/performance for what I needed on a street car (I have another car for track days that I buy higher performance tires for). For me, the re760s seemed to offer the best balance between handling, noise, and treadwear - without being too soft.

But even with the larger wheel size, and much shorter sidewall (along with increased tire pressure), the ride is still better than what it was with the RFTs. Part of that may be the loss of unsprung weight with the lighter wheel/tire combo.

I believe I'm at about 36/38 psi, front/rear with 225/40/18s all around (I like the balanced handling of a square setup).
OK, I probably would have been much happier with the RE760s. You mention the weight difference. This is the second time I've moved from runflat to goflat, and the ride quality improves in many ways. The 16" runflats I was on did not feel bad -- but, they do generate a lot of extra vibration. It's just not apparent until we remove the isolation in the suspension.

But the new tires (19 lbs each) make the whole car feel lighter. It's very strange but the vehicle as a whole behaves like a better, lighter vehicle. When I moved from 17" wheels to 16", I could feel a smoother ride. But this is different.

At high speed, I actually like the way the runflats rode better. The new tires are not perfect over every impact. But at low speed there's no comparison.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0