07-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Around $18 an ounce is a very good buy. I reckon that at $18 an ounce the odds are quite high that within 5 years you will see Silver touch $25 an ounce again. With that in mind you can see 50% gains which is roughly 10% a year. 10% a year is not bad if you look at it in the long term. Of course price of $25 could be hit this year or next year again if Bernanke says we are going to increase QE3 and add a QE4 lol...

While everything is possible I quite doubt that Silver will go to $9 which is a 50% drop from $18. Now it is roughly at $20 take or give. I like $18 entry point for a 5 year time frame. Any thing less then 5 years is a bonus
Your math is quite off. $18 to $25 is a 38.89% total gain. That averages out to roughly 6.79% a year. There are investment grade bonds with a 5 year maturity that aren't paying much less than that, and many just below investment grade that are paying MORE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I dont see how people feel it is a bad investment. I would much rather have something that is worth something no matter what the situtaion. If or when the American dollar collapses silver will still be worth something unlike your money you trusted with the bank. Silver was at near 45 dollars
By that theory you should be investing in agriculture, land, ammunition or non-renewable energy. While gold/silver is commodity money, it differs from usable commodities that are needed to survive.

If the America Dollar were to ever collapse gold/silver would be worth very little. At that point, you’d be talking about a massive depression on a Global level. You would been much more worried about fighting off theives from looting your home than worrying about any sort of money.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
As the world reserve currency, if the Dollar "collapses", shiny bricks of metal 3,500 miles away aren't going to be worth much.

Yams, land with a defensible water supply, lots of ammo and the ability to kill with your own hands unmercifully will be worth a lot more.
I made my post before seeing yours. I'm laughing a bit at how close our responses are.
Appreciate 0