06-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Sweep_the_Leg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Based on the cost of an extended warranty most of the time you will be better off just putting the 3k in the bank. I bought my 06 330i with 49k from Carmax and got their 6 year 60,000 mile warranty which covers my car till 109k for 2100. My car is now at 101k and I have had $1800 in warranty repairs (rear wheel bearing and air bag seat mat sensor). Their warranty is excellent and covers pretty much everything. Many of the other warranties I have seen are really limited and really expensive so it depends on the quality of the warranty and your risk tolerance.
It makes me happy to read this. I just bought a 2007 335i sedan with 49K on the clock from Carmax, and I also got the 72 month, 125,000 mile Carmax Maxcare warranty as part of my deal. With a $200 deductible it cost me $2,999. I was trading in my 2005 Mercedes C230, which had a recently seized AC compressor and a leaking evaporator (after only 7 years!), so that obviously influenced my warranty decision. The local MB dealer and various indy shops all wanted around $4000 to replace the failed parts. The whole experience also motivated me to get away from MB and into a Bimmer.

Maybe I'm more likely to end up actually losing a little cash on the warranty (especially from a time value of money perspective), but after that experience, I'm very glad to buy the peace of mind of avoiding any future $4000 catastrophic AC failures.
Appreciate 0