View Single Post
      06-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #44
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
Funny how tuners knock the JB but when they tune "correctly", they either don't make numbers that are as high, or make much lower numbers "mod for mod". I can't think of any blown or damaged engine threads from JB since I joined this site.
You have to understand that tuning a vehicle without relying on the knock sensor (which 99% of other platforms NEED to do) will require a conservative approach, especially on something like a Subaru/mitsubishi/mazda/honda.

For instance, when I tuned my last car myself, I didn't have a sophisticated DME to back me up, if my car knocked, it did not reduce ignition. So if I asked for 20 degrees ignition up top, it gave it to me.

A conservative approach might not make exactly the same power, but you will know day in and day out it will be consistent and through different weather changes and even elevations should be acceptable/safe/reliable.

One could easily tune to be on the verge of knock but with a ECU that doesnt adapt like this BMW platform if the conditions arent the same as the day you tuned, you will be calling a tow truck to go home.
Appreciate 0