11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ
My front strut mounts were gone at 75K mls. I replaced them with a revised part required by Tischer when ordering the old Performance Pkg suspension. When I had them out of the car, I found the bearings in both shot, one mount won't rotate at all by hand, the other jerkerly. The steering was definitely more fluid afterwards.

Soon after I installed the new mounts, I installed the SP lowering perches. When I did, I found that the pre-installed grease had migrated down into the retaining cup and left the top of the bearing exposed. I added, and pushed thru a bunch more bearing grease from the bottom (difficult to get to the top) so that the top of the bearing was covered.

I suggest doing the same before reinstalling the old or new mounts.
This very true usually the cause of clunking on suspensions is a shot upper mounts, to tight, or just plain old improper install. I have had plenty of experience on suspension installs with many different cars and usually all these noises share the same problems due to the following not followed.

1. Performance suspension require a different upper mount which also should be used with coilover systems no matter what
2. Always research torque specs, it's there for a reason
3. Try to replace all suspension parts when upgrading to coils or shock n spring combos
A. Bushings
B. upper mounts n components

4. Get an alignment
5. If you drop your car too low expect early wear on suspension component
Appreciate 0