07-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #77
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yes I did, and it is an exact true statement. I Also wrote this five posts later (before you decided to interject youself into the discussion...)

So stop trying to twist the truth.
This is what BMW wrote in the press piece:

"October 1988: the Z1 – a radically different approach to devYelopment and construction.

The Z1 truly was different from the ground up. A self-supporting monocoque construction made up of individual sheet-steel parts constituted the car’s backbone." guess we both know this is wrong... wasn't so "radical" was it?

And then BMW wrote this:

"Despite these advantages, the BMW engineers acknowledged that 'it would appear impossible in the foreseeable future to use a larger amount of plastic for making the exterior of mass-produced vehicles'."

Hummm... The Pontiac Transport and Oldsmobile Silhouette were both all-plastic outer skin vehicles of the same construction design as the Fiero and Z1. Both the Transport and Silhouette being minivans, they were much larger than the Z1; and the Transport was first sold in 1989. I guess BMW was wrong about that one too. GM figured out how to do it...

Talk about digging holes...

Efthreeoh,
Please stop polluting this thread. As others have also commented, no one but you cares about the Fiero. Believe what you will about what GM did not pioneer, but respect the forum and the topic (you've done neither).

In the mean time the challenge still stands. Feel free to PM me or post the factual data that GM was first and I will happliy conceed. I'd even be will to put some money behind it at this point. Disagree and be wrong all you like, but the rest of your nonsense has no business in this forum or thread.

Reminder -
The Eftreeoh challenge: Instead of perpetuating and adding conditions to your original argument, how about actually providing facts to your claim that with the Fiero, GM truly "pioneered" (as in was the first) "self-supporting monocoque" with plastic body panels.

Appreciate 0