View Single Post
      01-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #335
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

I'm calling it now - some day this will be a case study in an MBA program on how NOT to handle a customer/product issue in the new world of social media:

-In just over a month, this has almost 40,000 views - if I had to venture a guess, it is probably one of the fastest growing threads on E90post ever.

-Tons of views on jalopnik and other cross posted/shared sites.

-It will forever be accessible in google (and likely be pretty high ranking in search engines).

There are times as a company when it is best to let an insignificant social media post go and ignore it - often they will go away after a small bang. This is not one of those times. As another poster mentioned above - social media has taken down governments and large corporations before - I'm not saying that is going to happen here, but sheesh, they need to stop the hemorrhaging.

In the end, you can use situations like this to solidify customers or drive them away. I had an issue with my E46 that my dealer tried to ignore and told me to live with - BMWNA stepped in and took good care of me. I'm now in my third BMW in 9 years - BMWNA won me over with the way they handled it. But if I didn't know how BMW treated me and instead came across this thread - I'd be nervous to buy one, particularly from Penske...

Rich
Appreciate 0