View Single Post
      10-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #21
Fried_rice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2 E90 335i , E36 M3, FD Rx7

Probable, The engine actually runs very nice minus the limp mode. I think it was just a compounding factor. I don't know how long it was driven with the CEL on the guy said 5 in Spanish, and his wife translated that to 3 weeks. The head looks pretty clean, I've cleanead out engines with MUCH worse. I had a car that had about 5-10lbs of of sludge and 3" thick hardened crap that had clogged the oil pump inlet. Also amazingly the car has no rear main seal, front main seal, oil pan or any other oil leaks. I've never seen that on an 180k engine.

Also many imported JDM engines which heads look way more nasty with "40k" miles on them.

With the initial clogging of the Vanos oil filter on the check valve the cams were not getting proper oiling, therefore allowing the bearing material to circulate back to the Vanos filters. I would suspect a very small amount of oil was getting through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Looks like that engine did not see proper oil maintenance intervals.
UPDATE: If anyone is looking for the Camshaft Ledges, I'm selling mine here. I ended up putting the original ledges back in and calling it a loss. I believe my Intake Vanos gear was bad or it was still not getting enough oil flow to the Vanos unit.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339096

Last edited by Fried_rice; 01-02-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0