SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
That's not really what I was trying to say. The E46, with Nav and decent options, at the price it is, with the great mpg it does etc (in my opinion) is one of the best high performance daily drive bargains that has EVER been available.

The Z4M for me is more special, because it feels a bit more sporty (a good bit of which will be the roadster aspect etc) so I was just saying as it is also now cheap ish, is a good weekend toy option.

Both great cars, both worthy of recognition, both cheap. The E46 is now cheap enough to be accessed by chavs, but it is not (and never will be) inherently a chavs car. The Birds head tech who fit my LSD has one Kevin was saying - I doubt he would stick with it if it was anything less than everything everyone says it is. Incidentally Kevin also rates the Z4M and E46.

Matt
Couldn't agree more. I bought a nice Ruby Black, Imola Red, Fully serviced Z4M with 23,000 miles in 2011 for £15,999. Car was immaculate except for a few small scuffs on the driver's seat bolster, which I had rectified for £100,00.

I drove the car 2 full cabriolet seasons, usually early on a Saturday or Sunday morning for trips to the coast or excursions around the Yorkshire Moors and Dales.

Maintenance-wise I needed a new tyre after a puncture, but fitted 4 because they were half worn and I didn't want to lose the handling balance, which is really special in this car. Also needed a new sensor in the exhaust after the emissions light lit up (cost way more to find, than to fix).

Other than that, the car was a gem. Total blast with the roof down and singing at 5000rpm and above. Best heel and toe driving I've ever had, especially in Sport, where throttle response was mapped to 'instantaneous'.

Handling-wise the car has really interesting characteristics. Reasonably stiff suspension and huge grip in corners, thanks to the diff., it transitions from neutral to oversteer in a very gradual and controlled way, only requiring the driver to gradually unwind lock....making for incredible confidence when winding it up through the twisties.

I've never owned an E46 M3 but I can tell you that a Z4M may be one of the most fun cars the M Division has ever created....especially early on a Summer morning on a winding Dales road with the sun shining.

Like nearly all here, I eventually decided to try something else, so sold it on with 29,000 miles for $12,500. Probably the best £3.5K I've ever spent
Appreciate 0