View Single Post
      05-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Lake country is great for pads as well as the backing plate. Smaller pads tend to work better with dual action polishers, as they lack the power to effectively correct scratches with a larger pad. To start, I would recommend getting a cutting pad (scratch and orange peel correction), polishing pad (swirl and marring removal), and finishing pad (gaze and sealant).

I've never used Zaino so I can't comment on that. I've used Chemical Guys, Wolfgang, and PoorBoy's World in the past. PBW is good for the price, but Wolfgang yielded the best results.

I would not try to skip or replace the clay bar step - it's proven and fantastic for surface prep. If you haven't done a detail in a long time, it may be smart to also do a treatment with IronX to remove iron deposits prior to clay.

As for leather, while Zaino may be a great product for uncoated leathers, it will not be effective in your 3er. BMW (and 95% of all modern leather interiors) uses a treated leather that repels oil based cleaners and conditioners like Zaino, leatherique, and others. To properly care for treated leathers, you need to use a water-based cleaner and conditioner because the particles are small enough to penetrate the surface of the treated leather and hydrate the hyde underneath. For routine maintenance wiping down your leather with a damp cloth or a water-based detailer like DP Total Interior Cleaner is plenty effective. For deep cleans, try a product like Leather Masters which is a water-based alternative.

Sonax is great for wheels but expensive and overkill for maintenance washes, a good wheel brush like the daytona speedmaster plus a decent soap will do fine for routine cleaning.
Appreciate 2