United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Yes, only for MT.

One other thing, struts and shocks, if you're still on the originals, you'll notice increasing degradation from here (65K mls) on out.
Yea I've noticed my the back end of my car feels a bit more loose than usually. Like it feels floaty but not the common floaty-ness on xis. It's like there's no shock and just springs.

I wanted to lower my car on eibach springs but I think I'm just going to wait and get coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Just a bit more opinion from me. You've been doing some maintenance yourself, battery change, I think you fixed a fuel system vent pipe, and other stuff if I remember correctly, but you're cautious of diff and trans oil changes. There is probably nothing easier to do than drain and fill the transmission and differential. But you will attempt a oil filter housing gasket change? If you are confident enough to attempt the gasket change, the diff and trans oils are a piece of cake. Go for it.

The drive belt is so easy it's not funny. The AC needs special tools normally not available to the home mechanic (i.e. freon recovery tank, AC vacuum machine), and you can't buy refrigerant in bulk without a license to properly refill the system in accordacne with the BMW procedure, so that one you should leave to a shop.
Well I've done a oil filter housing gasket change on an E46. It's pretty much the same procedure minus draining the coolant.

I was nervous as hell doing my brake fluid swap over the summer and it was also my first time doing oil as well. So this is all new to me but I am getting more confident in changing fluids in my car.

I guess I'll look over the DIY guide a few more times. That's what scared me lol.

Have you done a trans/diff flush? Any tips? Special tools? I read it's better to vacuum the fluid out. It may be posted in this thread.
Appreciate 0