06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
I was always under the assumption that blown turbo seals were contributed by catless downpipes because of all those "white smoke after catless downpipes" threads; now I know better. Does that mean aside from the health and environmental damages, catless is actually better for our cars?

I got the idea of running catted from you! I would love to hear how that setup sounds; do make another video if you got the chance.

Question about installing midpipes; from what I'm aware, our exhaust is one-piece from after DP all the way to the muffler/tips. Did you have to cut the pipes for the Dinan install? What kinda clamps/connections are best for securing the midpipe to the axle-back?
Yes. Going catless on a turbo car will always be better. You want the least amount of restriction possible post-turbine. This helps reduce heat, backpressure, lowers EGT's, and will allow for quicker spool. Nothing but benefits obviously. The question you need to ask yourself is trading some of this efficiency, for exhaust sound quality on this car. Being an I6 with small turbos, catless exhausts will cause lots of rasp, it's the nature of the motor. This is the only reason I still have my mid-cats.

Midpipes: Yes, it's welded to the x-pipe/axle-back sections of this car. He cut his mufflers off and clamped the Dinan mufflers to the existing piping. About the clamps, I know Magnaflow makes nice stainless ones, but as long as it's SS304 metal you should be fine if it's the right size.

PS: Catless DP's and stock catted mids create less backpressure than catted DP's and catless mids would, because the "restriction" is further downstream from the turbos.
Appreciate 0