05-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #57
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey335 View Post
Yeah I was about to say that I called BS on this story.....You guys are all of the wall with the car-theft ring bs.....nobody steals luxury cars like that. People do insurance jobs on them because of the loss they take on owning cars like that. I mean really, this car had 400 miles on it? Who cares if it got stolen? Insurance pays for a new one.....nobody is attached to anything after 400 miles. Now if it was an e30 M3 or something kinda rare, different story. Bottom line, if they want your shit......they will take it.
You are VERY far off the money on this one. Look at the UK side of this forum and any other UK BMW forum and see the pages & pages of "stolen BMW's" threads.

As mentioned in this thread, the thieves have BMW equipment that can code a blank key to any BMW with the 2005 onwards pushbutton start system. They get into the car by whatever means they choose (some break windows, some look for unlocked cars, some use other methods), once in the car they connect to the OBD port and in minutes their blank key is coded to your car and they're off.

Its a pretty huge epidemic over here right now with mainly 2008+ cars being targeted but it works on all pushbutton start BMW's.

My neighbour had the equipment for a while and he was doing replacement keys for people - I saw him do one for a guy who wanted a spare key. He sold his kit on ebay.

The equipment is not hard to get hold of by the fact that my neighbour who is just a regular Joe managed to get his hands on it.

I expect sooner or later it will start in the U.S., but heres a UK forum thread to get you started http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=20&mid=0&nmt=
Appreciate 0