View Single Post
      04-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko
A while back a member posted a link to a long detailed report about the N52 engine (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788821). There is lots of good info regarding our engines that I found interesting, particularly the design concept of the electric water pump (page 67). It describes that our water pumps move more or less coolant through our engines depending on the situations to maintain different engine temperature setpoints. During spirited driving the temperature of the coolant is kept lower to improve volumetric efficiency and thus more power. During eco mode it keeps it higher to thin out the oil to reduce parasitic losses (ie friction) on the engine to save fuel. Most importantly it shows the different coolant temperature set points and will answer your question quite nicely:

112 deg C ECO Mode
105 deg C Normal Mode
95 deg C Med output mode
80 deg C High output mode

I suggest taking a look yourself as it is described in better detail. Hell you can find out every damn detail about our engines in that report as its 75 pages!! Prepare to spend a few hours reading if you're super technical. Having a degree in mechanical engineering helped
Thanks volasko, top stuff!!!
Appreciate 0