Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The only lens I have that does not have a correction profile (because she's purrfect) is the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L ... every other lens needs correction. Oh and my fish-eye, but that's kind of its entire purpose, not having straight lines and all
I've got the 15mm f/2.8 diagonal fish-eye and use my RAW conversion software (DxO Optics Pro) to de-fish most of the shots and make them rectilinear.

Many of the higher end Canon bodies now include Digital Lens Optimization in their in-camera JPEG, but I still prefer to shoot in RAW and convert with an external converter. I use "Optimal Exposure" also known as "Expose To The Right" ("ETTR") which usually results in a RAW file that's over exposed when viewed without correction.

Understanding Optimal Exposure (ETTR) gives you 1 to 2-stops of additional dynamic range over what you'd get if you exposed as if you were using Kodachrome or Fujichrome and needed to get the exposure correct in-camera. ETTR will add several megabites of data for you to work with in RAW conversion. It really shows up in dynamic range. Your ability to pull up shadows and pull down highlights yields DR approaching what the eye sees.

Shoot RAW and use Optimal Exposure and your images will take a major step forward, once you understand how to do it well.

Dave