View Single Post
      10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #68
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

gjimmy: I'm SLIGHTLY different in that I don't have iDrive, i've only got the professional headunit. In any event, it looks like the following needs to happen for both of us (pardon the repetition, I like to be clear):

We're MISSING SA640, thus have the wrong harness and no terminations for bluetooth or Mic (no mic for me, anyway).
First, I need to be absolutely certain that the mentioned pins on my MULF2 connector are missing and thus not available for rerouting.
Next step is to get an appropriate coax cable (SMB F-F) to run to the foot well (Damnit, I'm doing it right!) and select appropriate shielded mic cable.
Rip out ever damn interior panel on my ride, run cables, cut to length, add connectors. Plug in antenna and mic.
Code the car
Check that everything works
If it does, sew everything back up.

I think I can handle needing to only buy two runs of cable and install them myself, along with the mic and antenna. Actually, all in all, I think that makes this a relatively cheap retrofit.

As far as coding is concerned: I plan on doing that myself as well. I've got a cable in the mail, should be here today. I'm going to try enabling fob windows up first, but I figure I should have the hang of it after a couple hours of fiddling. So if that works out, I should be good to go. Snoozee, thanks a lot for the XP tip. I have a Win7 VM on my mac, but I hadn't even considered that XP might be strictly necessary. Maybe I'll just build up an XP VM today.

Cool thing is, gjimmy, I'm in LA also, Manhattan Beach specifically. I'm thinking, if you're up for it, I'll try coding, then gather up all the parts and in maybe a weekend or two we can meet up and try to run the retrofits at the same time. It'd definitely help to have two slightly-differently optioned cars to compare head to head while pulling everything apart.

Snoozee: Thanks for all the info in that first post as well, that's exactly what I needed to see. Good link too! I'll try to dig up the older post about getting pigtails and MQS pins.
Appreciate 0