07-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
SactoE90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 325i

Garage List
06' 325i  [0.00]
Sprint Booster Install - 2006 e90

Okay, first off...let me just throw out there that I was not looking for a tune, or to up the horsepower, or have the ECU flashed or pull pins from factory harnesses to fix a flaw in factory software. I love my e90, and the only persisting issue was the flabby feel in the accelerator, especially when trying to overtake traffic. A simple plug and play adapter was exactly what I was looking for, and found in the SprintBooster (SB).

I researched several forums and available info I could find online, finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. What I couldn't find was anything specific to an install on an e9x. Lots of stuff, including videos, for the e46...the factory harness always seemed to have enough slack to neatly tuck the SB module up under the lower dash panel.

The appearance and quality of build of the SB is very good, though for $300.00 I would have thought the final fitment would have been better executed for this specific model. Which serves as a good transition to my reference to the WTH questions being raised...here we go:

(Updated with the actual pictures, figured it out with some help from Mark's admin post. Thanks Mark!)
  1. Photo of the installed SB, and yes the module could be rotated 180 degrees to hide the connector for the LED/Control Button.

Name:  pic01.JPG
Views: 2991
Size:  155.1 KB

I fiddled with placement and could not come up with another option than depicted in Pic01. The SB module is 1.5 inches square, and in this application the module has one connector moulded directly onto the module, perpendicular to the flat part. On the opposite side, the wire harness comes out with the section of wire and the connector to snap onto the accelerator pedal’s connector.

2. Photos of me measuring the space available at the top of the installed accelerator, both depth and width.

Name:  pic02.JPG
Views: 2212
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  pic04.JPG
Views: 2203
Size:  191.4 KB

3. As can be seen in the following two pictures, the e9x’s wire harness measures a total of 4 inches from where it protrudes from the carpeting, and from the the mounting/retaining slot on the accelerator to the top of the accelerator’s potentiometer is also 4 inches. From my experimenting and measurements, I’m not seeing any physical way to mount the SB module higher and more out of the way of debris and moisture.

Name:  pic05.JPG
Views: 2448
Size:  193.7 KB

Name:  pic06.JPG
Views: 2134
Size:  221.0 KB

4. At this point it was apparent I was going to have to work with the only location I could see working, without either slicing up the carpet or splicing more wire into the SB’s harness. Seen below is my solution to protect the module once installed. Not only will the vinyl foam sheet protect it from debris and moisture, it also hides it from view.

Name:  pic08.JPG
Views: 2161
Size:  278.2 KB

5. The following pictures are two views of the accelerator pedal assembly re-installed with the SB module under the protective cover.

Name:  pic09.JPG
Views: 2279
Size:  213.2 KB

Name:  pic11.JPG
Views: 2237
Size:  192.5 KB

6. With the module installed, it was time to find a good place to locate the control LED/button. I’ve seen a few pictures from other users, I knew I didn’t want it zip-tied to one of the control stalks, or stuck to the dash or center console where it would be visible all the time. Here is where I located it, saw a similar location in another post, out of sight and yet still accessible.

Name:  pic12.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  152.4 KB

That’s it for the install...

A few parting thoughts and a couple more pictures.

As I was doing my initial research I came upon several pictures that showed different variations of the SB module. Some had wire harnesses attached and others seemed to be a solid module that would snap in-line without any additional wire harness needed.

This SB module seems to be the exact same one used with the e46‘s, which it obviously suited quite well, I think a slight rework would have suited the e9x series better. Unless I am missing something, that is...the picture below shows how a side mounted in-line style module, as used for some other applications, might have made this install much easier and secure.

Name:  pic13.JPG
Views: 2263
Size:  278.4 KB

I even considered trying to see if there was dead room in the massive plastic accelerator housing that could be carved out to make room for the SB module. Sorry to say, due to incredible German engineering, there is no room inside the module.

Name:  pic14.JPG
Views: 2376
Size:  152.7 KB

Overall, after the install I have to say that I really love the effect the Sprint Booster had on my car. It has been a week or so since the install, and I can honestly say that I leave it in the first mode, and have forgotten that it is even there. The new feel is natural and so much more like having a physical throttle cable.

If anyone has any suggestions or insights, please let me know! Also, any insight into using the attachment option. I tried using that feature and as you can see from the links, pictures that are portrait were posting as landscape? Yes, first post here... Thanks everyone, and I hope this helps someone. Also, if anyone else has pictures of the Sprint Booster installed in their e90 I'd love to see them.

Last edited by SactoE90; 07-09-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Updated with actual pictures, not links.
Appreciate 0