12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1302
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Got a couple questions; I'm new into detailing so pleeeease!

So now I can consider myself as "ready to get into detailing". I've always wanted to know more about how to get that sparkling finish on my car, but never went further then finding the good soap/wax. Being a detail guy, my car is always sparkling clean (And I never did anything other then a wash; basically). So I've thought that I could get some crazy results if I had the knowledge to take this to another level.

I've bought my self a PC and some Menzerna products (Polish, glaze, scellant), 3 or 4 of every kind of 4" pads that could be found), a clay kit with quick detailer and some other usual products (goo gone, tirestuff, etc...)

Is there a guide or a topic like those books "Detailing for dumbs?) Not that I consider myself dumb (well 90% of the time at least), but I like when the things are well explained and dont get too technical at first.

Can you guys help me finding this kind of guide?

Also, my parking space lies right beneath a couple trees and i'm wondering if I should find a garage to rent to do my polishing or the dust flying from the trees cant do any harm to my clearcoat?

Thanks for helping.
Between this Auto Detailing Guide and the detailed articles in the Ask A Pro Blog that's about everything you need to know. It's explained perfectly, and while many hardcore pros can (and will) debate methods, products and techniques for hours on end, this gives you good relevant information. It's a foundation and for most people getting into detailing as a DIY hobby, all the information is there. Read and learn from those two sources before diving into the often-intimidating detailing forums or often-assbackwards Youtube.

As long as it's not pollen season, you should be able to detail outside without much of a problem. If you see particulates setting up shop on your paint as you're out there working, you might want to find another spot. A garage is ideal, but maybe you can pickup one of those EZ-UP tents? Even a small one should be enough to work on several sections of the car at a time.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0