Thread: Syria
View Single Post
      08-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

I'm pleased to see our elected representatives have finally shown some balls to stand up to government plans for action without UN approval. That said I fear any action has only been delayed and may yet occur.

Earlier this year there were a scattering of news reports that the opposition rebels in Syria had used chemical weapons, these stories were not picked up by the mainstream press and are not being referenced now - strange. There has also been video footage of the rebels beheading Syrian soldiers and eating their organs - these are not nice people, yet we arm them and want to help them! Whether we like it or not, the leadership in Syria is the legally recognised government.

It seems unlikely to me that the Syrian government would use chemical weapons when it knows this would cause the US to act (Obama said as much as long ago as 2011), and now with US warships stationed off the coast in the med. All too convenient if you ask me.

I don't think we have seen enough evidence of diplomacy being tried and exhausted and that has to be the first option.

It just seems to me that the UK and US leaders have learned nothing from the last 10years,... and forgotten nothing. During 3days this month, 1,300 Egyptians were viollently killed by the military regime there, but we don't get the same rhetoric from our leaders about that... they want to topple leaders they consider adversaries without even making the most basic calculations of the consequences. I am at a complete loss to understand what our government thinks it is doing!