View Single Post
      06-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

Dealership's deceptive practices - Is this legal?

I've been in contact with a local BMW Dealership for a couple of months trying to work out the specifics on selling my 335i and buying an M3. I've been in to the dealership several times and I have all of our conversations logged in email. We've comed to agree on pricing and dates for the sale and the order of each car.

The deal was that I find a buyer, bring him in when he was ready to buy, and sell my car to the buyer "through" the dealership. They call this a pass-through and doing this would save me from paying tax on the sale price of my old car when I place an order for my new car. Sounds good so far.

So the pricing for the car is as follows: I would pay a $500 fee for the pass-through service and I would order the M3 for $1400 over invoice.

I get there last Friday, and after standing around for over an hour I am taken into my CA's office and he tells me "Well, I talked to my manager and he said we couldn't do the pass-through for $500. But we will do the pass through for $1000 and sell the car to you for $900 over invoice". He even admitted that this was to in hopes to guarantee that I would buy from them.

So after all is said and done the amount I pay will be the same but what bothers me is now, if for any reason, I decide against ordering through them I've lost another $500 which I shouldn't have to sacrifice as that was not part of the original agreement.

My question is, they offered me a deal at set prices and modify the arrangement when it comes to signing papers. Is this legal? Is there anything that I can do about this after the fact?
Appreciate 0