Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
You dont need to educate me on the physics of a slipper clutch...i am well aware of what it does, and also well aware that you can negate the effects of it through rev matching and feathering of the clutch.

I also know that you can roll slightly off the throttle and clutchless upshift. This isnt voodoo we are talking about.

However, comma, when doing that you WILL upset the suspension. And generally it works best when the engine is at or near full throttle. Going back to my example of being mid corner, in an extremely fast turn, hanging way off the bike, and needing to shift up, rolling off the throttle and clunking into gear is not the brightest of ideas. On a straight away, sure, Ive *also* done that for years. However I would not dare attempt a clutchless upshift, mid corner while hanging off the bike with a knee on the ground.

Personally turns 11-12 at Jerez come to mind. Two consecutive, extremely fast (4th gear) turns, where if you are hitting it right, you need to upshift before exiting 12 while doing triple digits, with your puck skipping on the piano. Id like to see how a clutchless upshift works out for the average person.
You cannot negate this by rv matching. Try this next time without a slipper clutch. If you are making a pass for instance and you run it in a little hot and you are over what your gearbox will do even by a couple of mph you will hop while leaned over in the corner and that probably means crash. If you try to pull the clutch in while leaned over to stabilize the gearbox then you are going to crash also. Someone of your riding capabilities already knows this because all fast riders trailbrake so good luck with trying to pull in the clutch and brake all while being leaned over at the same time. As far as clutchless shifting leaned over it's not that bad. You would be fine. People have been doing it for years. For the average person maybe not. Agreed on that.
Appreciate 0