Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I just use a bicycle helmet .... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'm thinking of doing some of the driving schools at Mid-Ohio. www.midohio.com

What would be some things I would need?

I'm sure I would need a helmet. Would a track rent these? Do I need to buy one? If so, open face, shielded face, brand, or whatever? I have no clue about helmets and whats good. I bumped around some sites and prices range from like $150-1,500 so that scares me haha.

I think they may provide some helmets from reading the site, but has anyone had any experience with rental helmets? Are they gross or not gross enough to require buying a helmet?

I really want to do the 3-day program but I hate how they are during the week.
I will do the usual response to this question...how many heads to you have...? You only got one on top of your shoulders, right..? Protect it with a decent helmet. I personally like the Bell M2...bought a Pyrotect one recently...and think the quality is not so hot..my next one will be a Bell M2 Pro. I like the M2 because of the wide eye outlet..so I can wear sunglasses or eyeglasses easier. It is a "SA" helmet..not an "M" for motorcycle use. I also recommend getting one in white color...black helmets bake your head if you happen to be in regions that get hot. The SR-Pro helmet is on closeout at saferacer.com for $289...I am gonna get the lighter M4 Pro next..but it is $559. You can buy helmets online for cheaper..but you dont get to try it on...and that is required if you ask me. BTW, someone's helmet that says 7 3/8" is NOT the same as another manufacturer that says 7 3/8". You must try them on to make sure. Arai helmets are usually for narrower heads...they look nice but dont fit my fat head. You can shop online at places like racerswholesale.com and saferacer.com. These are just two places..

Here is a link to the bell helmets at saferacer.com:

http://www.saferacer.com/bellhelmets.html

BTW, many venues have helmets to rent...so if this is just a one off thing for you..that may be best for you..check with organizers on that issue. Some of the rental helmets can be nasty...the Audi Club in Northern California has very nice ones..so that is kinda a hit or miss proposition. Good luck.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0