View Single Post
      04-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
HohnenRacing
Rep
Drives: 1994 540i

Garage List
1983 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Man where do i start......
ok, Numero uno:..NEVER BUY A 318, m42 engines are beyond shit.

Best places to look for rust are under the right side of the boot (if the battery is located in the rear, look in the engine bay (again around the battery if it is there) and also around the fire wall and front chassis rails.

If you are defiantly going to do an engine swap, the badge clearly doesn't matter, so if you find one with a completely straight body grab it, they can be hard to find, as these cars have been around for 20yrs plus.

Interiors can also be iffy, most of these cars have a weather seal leak above ether the passenger or drivers side, and it leaks under the front carpets, there can also be leaks above the left side of the boot where the antenna hole is.

The most common problem these cars can come with is a leaky steering rack, next to that is a slight head gasket leak, as well as out of time tappets (not a big problem, but annoying).

On a personal note, why do you want a series two? The series one imo is nicer plus the chrome bumpers just look better....but that's me..

If your you don't go for an engine swap, i'd go a 325i if you want complete performance, or the 325e, if you want a bit more torque or fuel economy (325e's also have a higher engine displacement 2.7..if your into that).

Also another fun engine swap is the M30b35 out of the e34 535i, BIG 6 with just over 200hp (stock), and maintains the 12v linage.

need anymore help feel free to ask me.

form.function.money...pick two.
Appreciate 0