View Single Post
      02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
ehhh, from what I hear form 'Birds' they are quite difficult to work with, at least in europe. Kevin Bird was trying to develop a custom setup with them wich meant they would have to supply the dampers already revalved to his custom specification but from what I know that never worked out..Kevin still uses Bistein which is an inferior solution in my oppinion.
Bilstein will not measure up to the Ohlins unless some changes are made internally and use true coilover type springs.

We have tried the same with Ohlins USA to buy only the struts and dampers only to be used with Swift springs and our hardware, but without any luck. However, I was told this may change down the road so there is hope.

KW is the same way, but even tougher to work with. In addition, they actually took our idea and made kits of their own and try to make us buy them...NO WAY! They are still wondering to this date why those kits don't sell! People want Swift springs with the option to choose their own spring rates, not an off of the shelf kit with KW springs.

AST and Koni are great to work with to get struts and dampers in just about any configuration with or without springs. Moton and JRZ are very easy to work with as well since most of the dampers are custom anyway.
Appreciate 0