06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m54 View Post
hehe i had same problem i couldnt break 13 s for the life ofme everyone is stelling me its due to runflats but hard to belive it can effect it that much
Traction is so underrated. I'm not sure why people think it's so hard to believe. Roughly 40% of your E.T. is spent in the first 330 feet of the track.

Look at Formula 1 racing, Nascar, Drag cars, or any high performance racing. What is one of the biggest things they're changing? Tires

It's not unheard of for a Formula 1 team to spend half a million dollars on tires over the course of a season. Think about that.

I'm not a run flat guru so take this for what it's worth, but tire pressure can also have a big effect on hooking with normal tires. On my old truck I ran Mickey Thompson Et Streets and even a 2psi difference was enough to lower my 60’ .1-.15 of a second.

Drag Racing is an art. It really is. You can’t expect to take your car to the track and have it run consistent times every day. In fact, people spend tons of money trying to do that and still fail (Bracket racing).

If you want to take drag racing seriously, I’d invest in a set of drag radials and buy a couple extra rims to put them on. I’ll be doing that very thing here soon. The Nitto 555r tires are a good in between point between a normal street tire and a drag radial. There are people cutting 1.6x 60’ times with those tires (in f-body camaros mostly), yet you can still get about 10k miles out of them. If you wanted a track only setup, I’d go with some Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials. Those are by far my favorite track tires, and they’re still street legal.

On another note: I’m not sure why there is such a huge fear of running a wider tire on a factory rim on here. It’s common place for people to run a 285 width tire on an 8” wide rim on the LSx based camaros. Heck, I ran a 305/50/20 tire on my truck for quite some time and had no issues. It may not be optimal for handling, but you’re certainly not going to hurt anything for a track only setup.
Appreciate 0