View Single Post
      11-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #9
dablackbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I recently did a front one on my xi (then realized the other side also had a light howling sound ) but your steps are good just make sure to have the ball joint separator tools since they will make your life super easy when separating the arms from the knuckle. And good snap ring pliers. I had to use small Allen keys to compress it since this piece of junk I bought from harbor freight quite literally bent while trying to get the ring in place after pressing the bearing on the knuckle. Hydraulic press has already long paid for itself.

I had no issues at all putting the axle back into the hub but maybe this has something to do with which build date your car is or whatever since some people have had problems with it, mine is 12/07. I recorded this pita of a job at least for me as a first timer but haven't put a video together
Thanks for the advice, did you reuse your hub or did you end up buying a new one? I was just going to take the new hub and bearing to a machine shop near me, have the bearing pressed in, and then come home and swap the new hub and bearing in. Also, are the parts listed all I need or do I need to get new bolts etc.? This is my first time on a pressed in bearing too.
Appreciate 0