grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Besides being designed in Germany, you might be interested to know that much, if not all, of the manufacturing equipment is built in Germany using German (or European if German is not available) and then shipped here. Even test and QC equipment is generally German. About the only thing not German are some of the employees.

We sell some force sensors and data acquisition system to the plant and know of the difficulties in getting domestic equipment in there. What we sell them is actually Swiss but is as close to German as could be had.
My father in law works for Exide and they are apparently building some batteries for BMW now. They currently source most of this particular battery from Italy I guess.

What I found very funny was BMW insisting upon Exide building the batteries exactly the same as the Italian company even after Exide said they could do better. So, Exide built them just like the Italian company did. They bought a lot of the same equipment and received a bunch of samples from BMW to compare against.

Sure enough BMW found something out of spec and they naturally assumed the unskilled American work force couldn't build the battery to tolerance, only to find out none of the batteries they sent fit that spec either and the Exides matched the flawed ones perfectly. So much fine Italian craftsmanship and German thoroughness catching the manufacturing error.
Appreciate 0