06-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Time To Say Goodbye & Farewell!!

In an almost identical situation to my 997 C2S, i have been made a very attractive cash offer for my E92 M3. I have been considering selling it for a while now and as the prices come down i think they will become slightly less unique on the road. I have loved owning it and i believe that the mods i have done have transformed the car and made it a real head turner. My biggest gripe with the car has always been the notchy gearbox, especially when cold and i just dont think its acceptable in a car of such value and pedigree. Ive driven quite a few to compare and in my opinion they are all pretty awful. I have some ideas as to where i am going next but if i do go back to an M3 it will have to be the DCT box without question (but trust me RED it WILL have EDC!!!! ).

My other issue is the lack of mid range power and the cost to try and rectify this. But i do agree that the car is far from slow and is more than enough for me and my ability - but if it had more mid range and was around 50bhp more from stock then i feel the car would have been a whole different package from the get go. That said, ive not regretted a single moment apart from fitting the bloody Vredesteins over the PS2's!! As much as i still think the Vreds are a very good second option if you are on a budget - its false economy on such a high end car and the Ring trip really showed how badly my M3 needed to be back on PS2's.

Ive been offered £41,000 for the M3 which i am more than happy with, its a private sale and the deal should all be done and dusted within 2 weeks.

So - what next????? I have to say the Ford Focus RS is an itch i think i need to scratch!!! I cant find one in Green so i have looked at a couple in Frozen White that are fully loaded with both Lux packs 1 & 2. They are charging a premium for them as Ford are telling customers if they order now they wont get the cars til Sept at the earliest - but a very good source has told me that they dont think these next batch of cars will be here til Jan now. So, if i want one im going to have to pay a premium of around £30 - 31k - a lot of money for a Ford - but i still personally love the look and sound and i think i can stamp my mark on it with some subtle mods etc. I dont think i would struggle to sell it on if i hated it after 2 months - i may lose a grand or so but hey ho ive made almost £10k over the sales of both the 997 and M3 so i guess i can absorb a little hit!! I will still be taking £10k out of the M3 and this would be handy as we are building a summer house come office at the back of the house and they are not bloody cheap!!

Other than that i would look at another M3, ideally E92 over an E90 but this time with DCT. If anyone comes across one for good money then please PM me as i cant find much out there and dont want to put a huge amount into the pot.

So - i think it is farewell for at least the time being. I will still keep an eye on things here and as and when i buy the next project i will dutifully let you chaps know. I want to say a big thank you to my good friend Big Tone for all his help, support and advice and depending upon what car im driving at the time, i look forward to the next Ring trip!!!

I wish you all the best and safe driving. Steve.