02-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Question Cold exhaust tips?

Just some quick (possibly stupid) questions....

This may be the case on all modern cars, so I apologize if the answer is obvious.

Question 1

My drive to/from work in the 335i takes 25/40 mins, and by the time I get to my destination the oil temp is at ~90C. It usually hovers between 90-110 for normal driving, when the engine is at operational temperature.

For the past two days, curiousity got the best of me and I noticed that the driver's side exhaust tip is lukewarm to the touch (haven't checked the passenger side). These were the only two times I actually checked the tips, as it was obvious in the e46 330Ci that the chrome tips could get very hot (which is what I would expect for an exhaust...) The ambient temp yesterday on the drive home was -5C, on the drive in this morning was 3C. The tip was barely lukewarm in both instances.

Crucially, yesterday the oil temp was up to 105C as I sometimes like to play a bit on the way home

I'm sure it's not a problem per-se, but why isn't the tip hot? Can I chalk it up solely to the cool ambient temperature, or is there another reason?

Question 2

Yesterday I noticed smoke/vapour wafting out of the same tip for about 10 mins after the engine was shut off. I would expect to see this happening for a couple of minutes, but for 10 minutes?

Again, my apologies if these questions/observations are trivial.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0