07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #38
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
You all don't get it. Sustainability/hybrid design/CAFE regulations will force BMW to bring 4cylinder engines and hybrid design to market. This doesn't come without significant R&D. The trickle down from F1 is in performance. The world doesn't care about performance at this time.

Imagine a hybrid sports car that gets 40mpg in the city.
BMW's identity lies in performance...so to quit just because it isn't what the world wants is pretty pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Three years to win the championship.... they are just being stupid.... utterly disappointed.
+1. Totally unrealistic expectations from the get go. This is likely a result of the fact that the board members have NO CONCEPT WHATSOEVER of what it takes to make a successful F1 team. An unfortunate circumstance when uninformed people are given lots of power to make big decisions. But I'm actually not even sure who sits on the board, so maybe I'm making an uninformed comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
F1 team led by martinets and quitters who cost Kubica a title shot last year by refusing to support him in favor of developing the 2009 car. Which was a dismal failure.

///M no longer stands for Motorsport, it stands for Marketing. M SUVs, M badge everything.

Van Hooydonk / Bangle styling

Every new model is bigger and heavier than its successor

Next generation M3 will have a turbo 6, no more high revving NA engines for M cars

BMW offers nothing in their lineup that can compete with the heavy hitting cars made by Audi, Porsche, or Mercedes.

BMW is making poop cars that nobody wants, like the 5 series GT.

BMW is done. Sinking ship.
BMW is far from a sinking ship...but I do agree that they are "selling out." Their recent decisions are proof that BMW is more concerned with what other people think they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post

Racing in general seems to be going down the crapper at the moment. F1 is imploding on itself, Touring Cars are slowly shriveling up, Le Mans only has two big guns in its premier category...
F1 is a disaster zone...and for that reason I don't blame BMW so much for pulling out. However, they should have just said that they were pulling out because it did not make sense to continue at such a tumultous time during F1's history. They should have blamed it on Bernie instead of coming out and saying that they're quitting because they care more about efficient dynamics and other stupid sustainable technologies. There is no arguing that BMW looks like a whiner and a quitter.