View Single Post
      04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
It is hard to say whether I should be doing a 2nd gear launch or not. My 6th run, I did a 1st gear launch with brake torquing to only 1200rpm but I had a launch with no wheel spin at all through the 60'. Sure enough, I still only get a 2.158 60' time.

My issue tonight was not because of the initial launch (1200 or 1500 rpm brake torquing and releasing does not cause it to spin) as I hooked perfectly every time on the holeshot. But as the boost rapidly kicks in and I get about 30' into the strip, I've already rolled the throttle too far and cause massive wheel spin before the shift to 2nd, which I continue to spin. Ideally, I would back off to stop the wheel spin and try to keep my tires on the edge of adhesion. Does not work with this car. My 5th run, I had rolled the throttle so slowly with wheel spin still and the tranny decided to shortshift to 2nd. Killed my start but I had to keep it that way to not slide across the track.

I conclude that it is most likely the track being dusty and dirty as others were having the same exact problem that I did. In addition, I'll be needing real slicks as those that had them could launch perfectly fine (1.5-1.6s 60's).
one word, 3 letters: LSD (and i donīt mean the drug)
Appreciate 0