07-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
My E90 LCI taillight conversion! Pics inside

I picked this up from a fire damaged 2011 328xi last week and everything was in absolute mint condition. I always wanted the LCI tails because I didn't like the white patch on my non-LED pre-LCI tails. This was the perfect opportunity for me to be fully content with the back of my car without paying more than $1200 (Yes, this is including the paint job).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The trunk included the carpet, the lock cylinder, roundel and also the original wiring harness that was of course cut from the car. I was able to dismantle the LCI trunk and pull out the entire wiring harness - figuring out what plugs into what. After experimenting with the LCI trunk's wiring, I was able to get a good idea on how to install the trunk on my pre-LCI car.

Here it is with just the outer tail light installed. I wouldn't recommend this because it will indeed make your car look weird.

I finally installed the new trunk on the pre-LCI car and ran into a problem where I didn't know how to take the wires off the clip for the inner tail lights. I tried leaving the original pre-LCI order for the wires and my rear fogs would stay on and the horizontal lines would not light up.

After playing comparing with the old wiring harness, I finally figured out the correct LCI wiring order and I managed to fix the problem. Now the horizontal lines light up just like the outer ones.

This is how it looks now. Yes, I know it looks weird but I'm going to have to take it apart and put the old trunk back while I bring the white trunk to be re-painted.

More pics coming soon!!!
Appreciate 0