06-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyMac View Post
Without a Vac supply the large wastegate actuator (easiest to access between turbos and inner wing) lies open - the vac closes it.
Let us clarify first by what you mean is a "large
wasetgate actuator (easiest to access between turbos and inner wing)". If this is the large can you can see from above on the passenger side, it's a turbine switchover actuator and not for the wastegate. Wastegate one is
below the LP turbo and you can not see it from above. If you remove all the heatshields, you can see the rod between the block and the turbo, but you need to have a good flashlight and know where to look. So, I think you are talking a turbine switchover vacuum actuator. Take a picture if in doubt and post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyMac View Post
....mine is always open, so its missing its vac supply. I have put vacuum to it and it will hold shut, so its the supply in my case, not the hardware. If you manually operate the wastegate by pulling the rod with the engine running, the exhaust quietens as the wastegate shuts, which also rules out a sticking / broken flap in the exhaust.
Assuming that this is the turbine switchover that we are talking about, have you looked at reversed vacuum lines on the pressure converter side?
Appreciate 0