View Single Post
      08-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I came from a 530d to a 335d.
I wanted a car that was more "chuckable", which the 3 series is.
The 5er is a great car, and for it's size, it handles very well indeed.
If it has RFT's, then throw them away, it makes a huge difference to the ride, and there is room for a spare wheel in the boot well.

Remember that all E6x have iDrive, but not that many had Nav, not that it's any great loss. The SE seats are only fair for any distance. The Sport seats are a lot better. A 2007 car will have had most of the issues sorted - starter motor, steering shaft, vortex breather. Get the swirl flaps removed if they haven't been already - it's not a major job.
The air filter gets very clogged if you park near tree's in the autumn. I took a bucket load out of mine, and it's a half hour job to get to the air filter on the 530.

Go for it - you'll not be disappointed. The big dirty diesel can still hustle along, and even though it's not a 535, it's performance over 100 is impressive.

Also on the plus side, the 530, with only being a single turbo, sounds a lot better than the twin turbo engine, it's got a pleasing, distinctive note when pressed. The x35d engine noise is too quiet and boring!

Mike
Appreciate 0