Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapharsyde View Post
Resurrecting an old thread here...hopefully some of you KCAN coding experts are still out there and able to help me out...Here is my dilemma:

I recently purchased a K+DCAN USB cable, which appears to be quite popular these days -

Since I have a 2006 E90, my understanding is that I needed to bridge together pins 7 and 8 to get to the K-line off of the OBD port, so I've soldered the pins together.

I've installed the FTDI drivers and I see the cable as COM1 in device manager. I've also used the K+DCAN utility to set my cable to KCAN mode, and done so successfully -

My goal is to tap into the KCAN protocol and listen for some of the steering wheel events that have also been discussed in this thread. In order to validate that I'm on the right track, I was hoping that I could plug the cable into my car's OBD port, the other end into my computer, and begin monitoring the COM1 port for traffic using Putty (a simple terminal app). Although I understand it would be gibberish, I was hoping to at least see some of the KCAN data traffic come across. Unfortunately, when I do this, there is nothing coming across in my terminal window.

Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need additional software to initialize communication between the car and the (virtual) serial port output?
You don't need to solder pins 7 and 8 together on *any* E90 chassis. 7 and 8 together is only required for E46 and older chassis.
Appreciate 0