View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
pedrobmw
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Angry HELP! Yellow Exclamation in Gear symbol after DS Shifter Fix

Hi Mike-y,

Thanks so much for posting your video on how to repair the DS/Steptronic Shifter on an E90. I have a 2007 328xi and had the DS mode die on me (1 week after my CPO warranty expired, and BMW wouldn't fix it!). After reading all of the instructions from a previous post, and incorporating your modification about freeing up the wire loop to give it more slack, I thought I was good to go.

I opened the shifter console and discovered that 4 of 8 wires were completely severed, and the other 4 all had impending fractures where the insulation had been breached. I soldered and shrink-tubed all 8 wires, but I made the mistake of accidentally bumping my key back into the ignition slot (I didn't try to start the car), and the dashboard lights came on, with a yellow exclamation point in a notched circle. I immediately removed the key, completed the repairs, and reconnected everything. However, when I restarted the car, the same error appears, and I cannot move the gear shifter out of Park. Doh!

Have you come across this error in your efforts to repair and replace your shifter? If so, is there a way for me to clear it? My suspicion is that the error occured because the car ran some diagnostics when I bumped the key, with the wiring harnesses all disconnected, resulting in a fault code. I would have hoped that reconnecting everything and restarting the car would have cleared the fault, but I guess not. Any ideas???

Anyone with first-hand knowlege, please respond ASAP, as my car is dead in my garage right now...

Thanks,
pedrobmw
Appreciate 0