View Single Post
      08-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
pedrobmw
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

It might be a broken switch. But in your video, the light for the Steptronic DS mode briefly flashed on when you moved the shifter to the left. I think you have an intermittent contact, either from a fractured wire, or a broken shifter.

You didn't mention what model year your E90 is. Hopefully, it's covered under warranty. If not, I would take another look at the wires, specifically UNDER the black electrical tape that holds them together. I didn't see any breakages in my own car until I removed the wiring assembly from beneath the plastic cover, and then removed the black tape. This seems to be a common experience.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWCT View Post
I think that a switch inside my steptronic shifter is broken... When I wiggled the shifter knob before in DS it would work. Also, when I wiggle the shifter know in P, R, N, or D the light that changes would turn on/off.
The DS mode would also work when I'm shifting halfway from D to DS but when it clicks in, DS turns off (see 0:05 of this video)

I took a look at it and there are no wires broken, however, now the DS doesn't work even when I shift and wiggle the knob around.

Could this be a broken switch inside?
Appreciate 0