View Single Post
      10-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
to those who converted their e90 pre lci fogs H11 halogen to HID, is the glare acceptable? do you once in a while (or quite often) get flashes from oncoming drivers? i know for a fact that using HID on a housing designed for halogen bulb is not recommended. to quote http://autotips.plentycar.com/convert-your-car-to-hid/ :

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

The reason is improper use of HID lighting systems and their unintentional blinding of drivers. A lot of inexperienced drivers put HID into halogen headlights, obviously not designed for such a system. Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing. Light from a halogen bulb is directed out to the reflective pieces of the headlight housing and than reflected onto the road, whereas the lighting from an HID bulb is focused directly onto the road. If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well. In this case the light is being directed elsewhere and actually being directed onto other motorists.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

don't you just hate is when the car on the opposite lane had HID on a halogen housing? way too bright. i've done this in my other vehicle. After a few days trying to adjust alignment so as not to blind oncoming drivers, i gave up and reinstalled the stock halogen. it just won't work to a level decent enough that other drivers won't complain by flashing at you.

so, is converting fog from H11 halogen to HID (without changing housing) worth it?
The foglights still have a cut off line, so they dont glare. The light distance for foglights is generally out the first 15 feet. So it would hardly glare people to begin with.

When you convert a halogen bulb to HID, glare usually occurs when the stock bulb housing doesnt have a clean cut off line. In our case BMW did their research and provided that anyway.

FWIW I never got flashed once, and I drive in areas where peope are quick to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csupernova View Post
I ordered the HID kit from them. Let's see if it throws error code on my 330i once installed.

ez_2get, the fog is mounted at a pretty low level and I'm not sure if it it will blind oncoming drivers. I have seen some cars using HID on their fog and they are bright but it didn't really blind me though.
Didnt throw errors on a 328 Pre LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I've seriously considered modding my fogs for this very purpose; to flash at opposing cars running HID's in a halogen reflector!
Appreciate 0