11-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #33
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
The trip from Durban to the left coast is a long one. I'm surprised that it didn't go to Bemerhaven first.

It will drop cars off in NJ, then NC and then the trek through the Panama Canal.

So December 18th is probably realistic.

If you were given your VIN or a Build Sheet when the order was confirmed, you would have known it was a South African built car (I have one).
Interestingly, the ship, the Sunshine Ace, was docked today in Baltimore (it has already left) and is now on its way to Charelston. It is on track to transfer through the Panama Canal on December 8th.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...010:28:45%20PM

The ship is blazing along at alomst 19 knots! That's pretty fast for a ship of its size that can carry 6,500 cars. I guess it's about right considering the ship is only about a year old.

The dealer and I are hoping for the car to be at the dealer and ready for pick-up on December 23rd.

So, in the end, if all stays on schedule, it will have taken a shade over 2.5 months from order to get the car. Total time one th boat will be about 37 days (long trip to the West Coast).