Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
While having all the internet speed in the world is great, there are several ISPs that have started talking about putting a cap on that speed after XXGb of downloads. Much like the people that still have "unlimited data" on their cell phones, this too will be a throttled. There are some that are throttling people on various things already, VPNs, P2P stuff, etc. and it will only get worse as we move toward having more and more streaming; unless you want to pay for it.
That talk has been going on for years. I think they'd lose money if they did that and they know it, that's why so few of them have pulled the trigger on it. Unless ALL of the ISP's local to you did it, I'm certain most people would just jump ship to whoever didn't cap it, even if they suffered slower speeds. For the average user, a cap at say 50GB isn't a big deal, but I would think that companies like Netflix and Hulu would beg to differ.

Although, HughesNet satellite internet already does it. You're capped at 40GB total with their best plan. You get 20 "anytime bytes" that can be used any time of day. You get an extra 20 "bonus bytes" to use between certain hours (overnight). That's why their plan sucks and no one uses it. It would be a better (faster) option for me where I live, and if it wasn't capped I'd do it. But my usage far exceeds 40GB in a month...

I'm not talking about just surfing the web either hymen. You won't notice a speed difference surfing the web unless you're still on dial-up. If you have multiple people living in your home and you do any sort of internet gaming, streaming, and surfing, then you'll likely need more bandwidth. Especially if you do this at the same time as other people in the house. When I stay with my parents for a week or so, they have a slow, 6 Mbps download DSL connection. When my younger sister is streaming HD movies on Netflix, I might as well forget about trying to play any internet games without lag.