08-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
The license plates that are issued to soldiers here are strictly for americans. Germans cannot be issued ones starting with AD or HK. I believe they are now issuing out ones belonging to the city they reside in.
So it's a special thing, just like Bundeswehr and such. Maybe they have only done that to get rid of the american plates that once were in use. I know that they had also american insurance back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Yes we live in your country, but Americans are protected from a lot of things you are not. Just like americans paying $20,000 less for a car made in your country. Thats just the way it is. Sorry. I could never live in germany. So many stupid laws and taxes.
I know why you pay less. It's just taxes, basically. I could have done ED myself via an american friend. But if you are not in the armed forces, you have to pay tax if you don't export the car. So, they prices quoted in the USA normally are without sales tax, which in some states is much as high as it is here (19%). After all, I don't pay that, as the car is used for my business.

I could give you plenty of examples of stupid laws in both countries

Whatever, beside the question of your special case being located here in Germany, what I don't understand is: If US emission laws are so strict as ever quoted, why can everybody tune their cars and thus render those laws useless in the USA? I heard that for a few years, american makers could not even produce any big block V8s for emission reasons.
Appreciate 0