02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Damn you went from a rant to 'sweet' in 8 hours?!

I've had my cable for weeks now and haven't started coding because of the confusing process (and the crappy weather, no need for a brick) Seems like a little persistence and a lot of reading is all that's needed?
There's still a lot I don't understand about coding, but I got the basics pretty quick. Once you learn to code one thing, everything else is 99% the same. I figured I would just download the software and try to use it even if it was considered out of date. I don't know that I have the latest versions of everything, but it all worked without a problem. I followed the DIY posted in the "Coding Success" thread. It's a .pdf file. I just followed it step by step. There's also a video you can watch on that same thread of someone going step by step to code something. Again, I don't know that it is the latest and most current "how to" but it worked for me.

It will be a lot easier for you if you have a 32 bit operating system. I have a MacBook Air so I downloaded a free version of Parallels which allows me to run a virtual machine with whatever Windows OS I like. I went with Windows 7 32 bit and it didn't cause any problems. I know a lot of people recommend Windows XP, but Windows 7 worked great for me.

Once you get your cable drivers set up (explained how to do so in the DIY) you run INPALOAD to basically check to make sure your laptop can communicate with your car via the cable. If not, you have to go back and change things around until your cable is set up right. After that, you can run NCSexpert which is the program you use to code the car. The DIY explains how to get it all set up at first. This takes a minute, but once it's done you won't have to do it again. You use NCSexpert to pull a file from whatever module you select. There are several modules that contain various settings. Find the module that contains the setting you would like to change and select this one. Once you have pulled the file from a module, you can open it as a text file and make the necessary changes. Once those changes have been made, you use NCSexpert to send that updated file to your car. That's it.

None of this is meant to be used as a tutorial because it is in no way precise or detailed enough. I just figured I'd type up the process so you can better understand exactly what coding is. The hardest part for me was to understand what it is that I was actually doing. Once you understand it a little better, it makes the process easier to follow. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0