10-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry, that's simply not true. Try and do this with a letter from a dealer and you will not be able to import the vehicle (dealers can't issue recall clearance letters in any case). RIV used to accept warranty inquiries, but RIV will not accept these any more. Here is what RIV says:

BMW Canada informed Transport Canada that ALL modifications MUST be performed (and documented) by an authorized BMW Canada or MINI retailer and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada. Contact an authorized Canadian retailer for information on exact nature and costs of modifications required. Modifications vary by model and may be expensive.

It is complete bs. One of their excuses is that theoretically you could turn the DRL back on with the US cluster (the option is not available in the Canadian cluster, but that would obviously just be a software issue, not something that requires the hardware to be replaced).

Some people are posting that all of this work can cost $4k+. It's just not worth importing any more, unless it's a really expensive car when the $4k is not as significant relative to the potential savings from the exchange rate. Definitely not worth it for a 328xi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBureno View Post
I don't think you need to change the clusters on the US cars, they come with km/h and mp/h and I'm sure if you look around some BMW dealers would give you the recall clearance letter for free or cheaper cause it doesn't cost them anything.